Student Mental Health Resource Team (SMHRT)
228 Maryland Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3G 1L6
204-958-9600 • 204-958-9618
The Student Mental Health Resource Team (SMHRT) provides focused services assisting students that are facing challenges within the school system related to mental health needs. Services are provided through a collaborative partnership between parents and students, school team members and SMHRT. The team consists of mental health staff and education system staff.
Students between the ages of 6 and 18 attending schools (typically grades 1 to 12) within the public and private school systems within Winnipeg and the surrounding areas who are experiencing challenges with emotional, social, and behavioural issues that are effecting their learning successes.
Referrals are best suited for SMHRT when the referral is in collaboration between school teams and parents requesting assistance with enhancing school based services by addressing mental health needs and where school/divisional clinical support services have already been consulted.
Parents, school team personnel, family doctors, and other professionals can make referrals to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Centralized Intake Service at 204-958-9660.
- Parent/school consultation
- Assist parents and school in understanding child’s mental health needs in relation to school-based needs and functioning
- Assist in communicating and sharing differing perspectives regarding functioning and needs
- Systems meetings with parents, teachers, other educational support staff and administrators
- Liaise and assist in coordination of common goals and intervention strategies
- Contribute to various school based plans: Individual Education Plan (IEP), Behaviour Intervention Plan (BIP), Adapted Education Plan (AEP)
- Provide resources to assist parents and school personnel to better understand child’s challenges, and to assist child to be more socially and academically successful in the school setting