The information provided on this web page is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or care. It is not intended to be a substitute for the care of a health care provider with expertise in mental health.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
MATC welcomes all users to the website resource section with the understanding that they agree with the Conditions of Use agreement.
- Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Canadian Mental Health Association (Winnipeg)
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Worker Training Program
- Health Canada
- Health Sciences Centre
- First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line is 1-855-242-3310
- Kids Help Phone – helping kids in crisis (text, phone, see website)
- Manitoba Health
- St. Amant Centre
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
- Behaviour Charts – Free Printable Behaviour Charts is a bit of work, a bit of fun, and hopefully a helpful resource to other parents.
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Gender Inclusive Care Resource
- Kids Health
- Learning Works for Kids – Executive Functions – Good site for executive functioning information and strategies. A commercial website but this section deals with executive functions in a very parent/teacher friendly manner.
- Lives in the Balance
- Manitoba Schizophrenia Society
- Mental Health – Health Canada
- Mind your Mind
- Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba
- Reach Out.com – Australian website
- Smart Kids with Learning Disabilities – Good overall look at accompanying deficits in children who struggle socially/academically.
- Stop Cyberbullying – Many resources including several videos
- Taking Care: Child & Youth Mental Health – General info about a lot of different mental health issues / resources.
- Worry Wise Kids – Some good ideas
- Teen Clinic Mental Health Tool Kit
- 13 Reasons Why Talking Points
- The Canadian Mental Health Association joins with the Centre for Suicide Prevention in raising concerns about content in 13 Reasons Why, a recent Netflix series that depicts the suicide of a young woman and its aftermath. Read the statement.
- Anxiety BC – AnxietyBC is a website that offers resources relating to anxiety.
- Anxiety Disorders Association of Manitoba
- Coping With Anxiety and Panic Attacks
by Jordan Lee Rosen, Publishing – 2009-02-13
- When My Worries Get Too Big! A Relaxation Book for Children Who Live with Anxiety
by Kari Dunn Buron, Autism Asperger Pub. … Anxiety for Children and Youth – 2012-03-14
- The Worried Child: Recognizing Anxiety in Children and Helping Them Heal
by Paul Foxman, Hunter House Publishers (2004) ISBN:0897934202 – 2012-03-14
Behaviour Problems (books)
- Backtalk: Four Steps to Ending Rude Behaviour in Your Kids
by Carolyn Crowder, Fireside; (Mar. 1998) ISBN: 068484124X
- The Difficult Child
by Stanley Turecki, Bantam; 2nd Rev. Ed. (Mar. 2000) ISBN: 0553380362
- Discipline: The Brazelton Way
by T. Berry Brazelton, Perseus Publishing; (Jan., 2003) ISBN: 0738207837
- How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
by Sal Severe, Penguin USA; (Jury. 2003) ISBN: 0141001933
- Kids are worth it! Revised Edition: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
by Barbara Coloroso, Harper Resource; Rev. Ed. (Sep. 2002) ISBN: 0060014318
- Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours
by Kevin Leman, Fleming H Revell Co; (Sept. 2000) ISBN: 0800757319
- No More Misbehavin’: 38 Difficult Behaviours and How to Stop Them
by Michele Borba, Jossey-Bass; (Feb. 2003) ISBN: 0787966177
- Rage, Rebellion & Rudeness: Parenting Teenagers in the New Millennium
by G. Scott Wooding, Fitzhenry & Whiteside Limited; (July, 2003) ISBN: 155041755X
- Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense. Sensitive. Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, Perennial Press; (Apr. 1998) ISBN: 0060923288
- Your Defiant Child: Eight Steps to Better Behaviour
by Russell Barkley, Guilford Press; (Oct., 1998) ISBN: 1572303212
Mood Problems and Depression (books)
- Adolescent Depression: A Guide for Parents
by Francis Mark Mondimore, Johns Hopkins University Press; c2002 ISBN: 0801870658
- Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families
by Francis Mark Mondimore, Johns Hopkins University Press; c1999 ISBN: 0801861187
- The Depressed Child: A Parent’s Guide for Rescuing Kids
by Douglas A. Riley, Taylor Trade Publishing; c2001 ISBN: 0878331875
- The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
by M. A. Copeland,New Harbinger Publications; c20021SBN: 157224268X
- Growing Up Sad: Childhood Depression and Its Treatment
by Leon Cytryn, W. W. Norton & Company; c1998 ISBN: 0393317889
- “Help Me, I’m Sad”: Recognizing, Treating, and Preventing Childhood and Adolescent Depression
by David G. Fassler, Penguin Books; c1998 ISBN: 0140267638
- More Than Moody: Recognizing and Treating Adolescent Depression
by Harold Koplewicz, Perigee Books; c2003 ISBN: 0399529128
- Raising a Moody Child: How to Cope with Depression and Bipolar Disorder
by Mary A. Fristad, The Guilford Press; c2003 ISBN: 1572308710
- Understanding Teenage Depression: A Guide to Diagnosis, Treatment, and Management
by Maureen Empfield, Owl Books; c2001 ISBN: 0805067612
Tourette Syndrome Disorder
Websites related to TS and associated conditions:
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Anxiety British Columbia – Also see their companion app Mindshift
- Canada Revenue Agency – Information on topics of interest for persons with disabilities
- Canadian Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Resource Alliance
- Centre for ADD/ADHD Advocacy
- Child and Parent Resource Institute – Click on Services and link to Specialized Services, Brake Shop Clinic
- Learning Disabilities Association of Canada
- Learning Disabilities Association of Manitoba
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Tourette Syndrome Association
- Planet Tic
- Russell Barkley education & research on ADHD
- Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada
- Tourette Syndrome “Plus”
Books related to TS and associated conditions:
- Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete Authoritative Guide for Parents (3rd Edition)
Barkley, R.A. (2013). New York: Guilford Press
- Freeing Your Child From Anxiety: Powerful, Practical Solutions to Overcome Your Child’s Fears, Worries & Phobias
Freeing Your Child From Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (2000)
Chansky, T.E. (2004). New York: Broadway Books.
- Tigers, Too: Executive Functions / Speed of Processing / Memory: Impact on Academic, Behavioural, and Social Functioning of Students with ADHD, Tourette Syndrome and OCD-Modifications and Interventions
Dornbush, M.P. & Pruitt, S.K. (2009).
- The Adventures of Stretch More, Pick-Your-Path Stories for Solving Problems Together
Epstein, T & Green, R. W. (2014). Bethesda; Woodbine House
- The Explosive Child: Understanding and Helping Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
Greene, R. (2013). New York: Harper Collins.
- The Out-of-Sync Child, Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder
Kranowitz, C.S. (2006). Revised and updated edition. New York: The Berkley Publishing Group.
- ADHD, Living Without Brakes
Kutscher, M.L. (2009). London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School
Kutscher, M.L. & Moran, M. (2009). New York: Harper Collins Publishers.
- Nix Your Tics! Eliminate Unwanted Symptoms: A How-To Guide for Young People
McKinlay, D. (Life’s A Twitch Publishing)
- Where’s My Stuff?, The Ultimate Teem Organizing Guide
Moss, S & Schwartz, L (2011). San Francisco: Orange Avenue Publishing
- I Can’t Stop, A Story About Tourette Syndrome
Niner, H.N. (2005). Morton Grove, IL: Albert Whitman & Company.
- Understanding Tourette Syndrome: A Handbook for Families
Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada. (2006). Toronto: Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada
- Child Psychiatry and the DSM-5
- Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child & Youth Mental Health – learning module: Youth Suicide Prevention, Risk Management and Postvention
- Initiating Youth Engagement Practice in Mental Health; The Art of Youth Engagement; Bring Family Engagement into Action resources – Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child and Youth Mental Health
- Orygen campus – training and resources to provide you with skills and knowledge to help young people enjoy optimal mental health
- Strongest Families Institute – a not for profit company, leverages research, technology and staff who deliver evidence based programs to children and families
- CHEO is a pediatric health and research center providing outstanding family-centered patient care, pioneering breakthrough research, and training the health care professionals of tomorrow.
- www.kidsnewtocanada.ca – Developed by the Canadian Paediatric Society and a network of experts and organizations, the site has evidence-based information on assessment and screening, medical conditions, mental health, child development, and much more. It also has tools, checklists, links to local resources, and information about the Canadian health care system.